By Chloe Quinoa Taco Salad Bowl (Vegan!)
I’m not normally the biggest salad fan (who is?) and never would dream of ordering it when I’m out, however, a few weeks ago I went to By Chloe, and decided to go against what I normally eat and get a salad. I had the Mexican quinoa taco salad, which was amazing, delicious and completely vegan!
By Chloe is a really cute insta-worthy cafe, that I recommend trying if you are ever in the Covent garden area! I also tried the homemade lemonade, and vegan mac n cheese, which were both amazing!
However, it was the By Chloe Vegan Taco Salad Bowl that was my fav, and I knew I had to recreate it at home! I think I did a pretty good job…
By Chloe Quinoa Taco Salad Bowl
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, grated
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ 400g tin of sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
- ½ 400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Handful chopped coriander | cilantro leaves
- 2 Tortilla wraps
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt & pepper
For the Bowl:
- Greens of choice (spinach, baby kale, choices are endless!)
- Heat up the oil in a pan, then add the red onion and sauté over medium heat for 2-3 minutes before adding the garlic. Stir frequently for a minute to avoid burning.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except balsamic and maple syrup) and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once sweet potatoes are softened and cooked through, stir in balsamic and maple syrup and caramelise the sweet potatoes for a further minute or two before turning off the heat.
- Rinse and drain your quinoa (this helps remove the sometimes bitter taste) and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, fry the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes to soften. Add in the rinsed quinoa to the pan and stir until quinoa is dry.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water, the salt and cumin. Leave on a light simmer with a lid on – the quinoa will be done when all the water is absorbed (around 10-15 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff up the quinoa before combining with the remaining ingredients.
- Cut the wraps into small strips
- Place in a preheated grill and cook for 5 minutes until crispy
- Simply stir all the ingredients together with 2 tablespoons water until smooth and combined, adding more water if necessary.
- Add a layer of greens and top with the quinoa, vegan “chorizo”, avocado, crunchy tortilla chips, and finally drizzle the creamy sauce all over!